Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

tangent mate or other on multiple surfaces possible ?

Hi, I have a saw-tooth kind of design of two rotating parts that allow rotation in only one direction (it is for a light switch on a desk lamp, see last picture). How can I make a simulation of that ? I was trying different combinations of mate connectors, mainly tangent mate, but to no avail. Based on my reading up it is not possible in Onshape. Does anyone know if it is possible ?
The top of the part is more than one surface/line, and the tangent mate allows for only one continuous surface, that is where I fail. To make matters more complicated, the parts do not use circles, but 30-segments polygon's (workaround of a Marlin bug, the 3D firmware - having problems printing small circles). So the edge of the part are actually many many small segments.

Appreciate any help. I find this a great challenge.

Thanks in advance, Gunther

link to design: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1a80ccb9f9942cb1b12f7e26/w/802ae260c5d8ff3c222438d1/e/2bf6e1e4f50312d53782d42a

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    gunther_schwarz444gunther_schwarz444 Member Posts: 4
    Great answer, thanks Philip! Especially for taking the time to create a working model. I recreated it an learned a lot from it (also some other details) and I think I got it. Maybe in some cases I will have to create a design and assembly variant specific for animation where I leave out tolerances and clearances. The Marlin is the firmware of my 3D printer, and it has a bug where when printing small circles it freaks out and turns into a hopeless stuttering of the steppers. Evidently some kind of timing problems. As a workaround I converted all circles to polygons, and that did the jos for the printing. Thanks again, Gunther