Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Export sketch to DXF with mm units

I'm trying to export a sketch in Onshape to a DXF file. I've been doing this by right-clicking on the sketch and selecting 'Export as DXF/DWG'. When I then go to open the DXF file in another program (such as Inkscape) and ask it to 'Read scaling method from file', then my image comes up as 60" by 60" rather than 60mm x 60mm. My Onshape document is set to mm as the units. If I look in the DXF file with a text editor, I can see that $MEASUREMENT is set to 0 (which I believe corresponds to English/inches units).

When I try creating a drawing from my sketch in ISO format, and then exporting the drawing as a DXF, if I then open the DXF file in Inkscape, my image is the right size (60mm x 60mm) but then I have the rest of the drawing as well, rather than just my sketch which is what I want. Looking in the DXF file of the drawing, $MEASUREMENT is now set to 1 (metric/mm).

So, my question is, how can I export a sketch to DXF with metric/mm units?

This seems to have been touched on a couple of times elsewhere, but I haven't managed to find a solution so far (other than scaling back to mm after exporting to DXF, but this isn't ideal).

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hmm, wierd, I export DXF files in mm with no problems.  I've exported sketches or just a right click on a planar part face.

Do you have a support ticket in?

Cheers,

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Livia_ThorpeLivia_Thorpe Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Thanks for your reply, Owen. Good to know that it should work! No, I haven't put a support ticket in - thought I'd post here first.

Thanks, 
    Livia