Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How would I go about merging 200 parts into 1?

I’m asking because Boolean freezes or cuts out wherever I try. I’m trying to merge 200 teeth for a planetary gearbox

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Zelig - the best approach is always to post a link to a public document - 5 guys will immediately fix it for you!
    Without being able to see the problem, it's very hard to 'guess' the reason.

How are you making the teeth? Why are they all separate?
    There is a 10 minute (i think) timeout on booleans - have you tried booleaning smaller groups together?

The best thing to do is post a link.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    zelig_daniels237zelig_daniels237 Member Posts: 5
    Here’s the link: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/44ee9ad6e0c1f63c08e79b51/w/624b87680efeb4c17344f87b/e/558679588d2bff31a041f223

im making the gears by making a single sketch face with a tooth, sweeping the face with a helix, and then using circle pattern to to replicate it. From there I Boolean the X amount of parts into one. I managed to do it with a 50 tooth planet gear, a 100 tooth sun gear, but I’m struggling with booleaning (merging) the 200 tooth ring gear.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Edit: I went back and fixed all of the patterns to mitigate this issue, using method 2 where possible and method 1 where method 2 failed.  The part studio now loads much faster:

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    zelig_daniels237zelig_daniels237 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you! This helped and worked. Much appreciated @Jake_Rosenfeld