Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Exporting files

blake_wazochablake_wazocha Member Posts: 1
I have a design I want a friend of mine to 3D print for me. I'm not sure what is the best way to send it to him. He told me to make it a ipt. or stl. format and he needs the model file and not the print file. Would I be able to send it to him through email or is there a better way?

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @blake_wazocha and welcome to the forums.

There are a couple of ways to do this:-

(a) Right click on the part (in the partstudio) and select export, select STL, then either email it to him, put it on a USB drive, use dropbox etc

or

(b) A much better method is to have your friend sign up for a free onshape account and then share it with him.  That way if you change the design he'll always have the up to date file and there's no worry about email file size limits or other annoyances.

Hope that helps,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd