Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to create a surface group when you are in part studio mode?

How to create a surface group when you are in part studio mode

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    What are you trying to do?
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are trying to create a single surface out of a group of surfaces, you can do that with some careful planning and the Add option. By default a surface feature creates a new surface body, but you can add to an existing body using Add. Add is available as an option on any of the standard geometry creation features that let you create a surface (extrude, revolve, sweep, loft).

• Options
    Sion_GwynnSion_Gwynn Member Posts: 2
    I've been struggling with this too. I use imported STEP geometry from companies to reference in my design work. These files can often include 50 surfaces that don't form a watertight surface and therefore create 50 individual surfaces in my feature window. I often need to move, copy, rotate and use this geometry within my design but find it very difficult to handle this geometry relative to each-other. It would be ideal if you could create a feature group which houses all this mess. Would really appreciate any help on this. Thanks!
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,361 PRO
    @Sion_Gwynn

Making a composite part from these surfaces could be a quick fix.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/composite_part.htm