Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do you copy sketch entites so that a change in one changes the copy?

MetroMetro Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
Hello,
I've made a lot of copies of a sketch entity (a wire profile) in one of my sketches. How can I copy the profile so that any changes I need to make are reflected in all the copies instead of changing them one at a time? Would using a variable solve this?
thanks for any help
-Metro

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited January 2018
    This is very hard without being able to see what you're doing.
    That said, If the entities are coincident, you can use the 'project/convert' tool to make copies ACROSS sketches. These would then all be associative.
    If the entities were not coincident and they were regularly spaced, then a sketch pattern (again associative), may be what you're looking for.
    For better help, most people post a public link so that users can fix your problem.
    Good luck! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Hi Philip.
    here is a link
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1cd2768c01eb0bfcfc7b9a30/w/fce3cebe89a3e337c51b39e7/e/61adafa5269ac0eeea16abb4
    they look like upside-down mushrooms.
    I'd like to be able to change a dimension on one and have all the copies follow suit if possible.

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Metro - thank you for the link.
    Here is a document showing that sketch patterns can absolutely do what you're looking for.
    Of note is the ability to delete instances (shown) and the pattern still regenerate. That said, there is no need to delete the un-needed instances, simply dont extrude them.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9a289276a23d83bc492c357c/w/1cad4ae822c7515d62b5ad05/e/73172fbf24dfcd7dfcc0c99b

I hope this helps :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    @Metro
    All your profiles are in the same sketch, but in your case they are not evenly spaced. So, a sketch pattern would be problematic. Since everything is dimensioned, you could set each dimension equal to a variable created beforehand. A simpler solution would be to add equal constraints. This would be relatively trivial using a selection set for equal length elements. But the more important question is, what are you trying to accomplish? I imaginge you're going to either extrude or revolve a part from these sketches? If so, a part pattern would be much simpler. Even with your uneven spacing, you could use the Point Pattern featurescript to replicate the parts. And if you need to create a cut, you could just use a boolean after the pattern. And if you're just trying to create the same part over and over, maybe what you need is an assembly. Generally, part studios are best used for creating unique parts, not making the same screw over and over.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I found that the variable will work on copies if the variable is created on the original but Philip I prefer yours it's a bit less hassle I think. Did you use the equal constraint?.I tried that and it also worked. Thanks Mahir. The wire pieces will have varying curves, shapes and lengths so they are all different parts. the profile will be swept  but the bit sticking up from the arc may need to widen or be slightly longer..etc