Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating a variable within a Skectch

T.MoyerT.Moyer Member Posts: 2
I've tried to create a variable as instructed in the help but after I click the dimension tool between two point and then try to enter a variable name for this dimension like #pWidth it just show up red. Do I need to define that pWidth is a variable ahead of time.

I'm  bit lost about what I'm doing wrong as there no numbers within the help to tell me if a previous set of instructions is required before I try to define a variable via #pWidth.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited February 2018
    Yes, variables must be created higher up the feature tree than the first time they're used in an actual feature.  For simplicity I always roll back and put mine at the very top.

Shout of you can't get it to work and we'll go through an example.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    jack_hautalajack_hautala Member Posts: 2
    Im
    having the same issue. I started with creating the variables. And then the sketch. Following the video tutorial and boom I cannot choose #HI. Or any other version I name it. 
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,366 PRO
    You can create the variable before the sketch, or during creating/editing of the sketch. Keep in mind that variables are referenced with the "#" at the beginning, but when creating them, the name doesn't include the "#".