Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape Compatibility (Autodesk Inventor)

dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
Hi. Onshape claims to offer "Full, fluid compatibility with most major CAD systems" (see image). At first this seems great, as my latest customer requires final deliverables in Inventor format. And I certainly Give Onshape credit for being the best CAD system in terms of compabilitily. But, I feel like Onshape is stretching here. 

This marketing image includes the Autodesk Inventor logo. Onshape's claim of "full, fluid compatibility with most major CAD systems" is not a fully true statement. "Full, fluid compatibility" clearly implies that Onshape can export files which can then be used and edited in Inventor, swapped back and forth, etc. Otherwise, we're just talking about importing native files and then exporting "dumb solids" (such as .STEP or Parasolid) which cannot be modified in Inventor. While useful, that is not "full, fluid compatibility".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see no option to export in Inventor (or CATIA, etc.) file format. 

Am I falsely accusing Onshape? To me this is an exaggerated claim on Onshape's part. 

Comments

• Options
    dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Yes, I totally see what you're saying and it is fair. Like I said, I do give Onshape a lot of credit for being the best CAD out there in this way. It's just that their claim is a little misleading - I don't think it's a stretch for me to say that. If their claims were less exaggerated, I wouldn't be making this post asking for clarification.