Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

When to use assemblies vs containing everything in one drawing?

I don't really know the best way to ask this question, but I am working on designing a new body for an airsoft rifle I own and then 3d printing it. I am currently struggling with keeping my drawing organzied since there are several peices I am working with(body, buffer tube, picatinny rails, etc). Would it be best practice to model each of these parts individually on their own drawings and then import them into and assembly?

I am still very new to CAD drawing so I tend to get a little messy when it comes to larger projects. It seems my ideal path would be to model each part by itself and import, but perhaps I am missing something to help me keep it in one drawing?

The current struggle is actually the rail sections and having all the slots line up across all sides of the body regardless of the total length of the rail. This seems like a parametric modeling application here, but thats a bit out of my leage.

This community has always been excelent to me, so I am hoping you all can guide me in the right direction one more time.

Thanks!

Project File: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b17349e4bd6b2044155dadf7/w/77a5d1b3fc334dbff0e3538e/e/c38cdf707c2a7bc446c27e2d

Best Answers

Answers