Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Drawing: 4 sided cone, correct dimension of the tangent length of the sides

wolfgang_maierwolfgang_maier Member Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
I tried a drawing of a 4 sided cone. I cannot get the correct dimensions of the tangent length of the sides.
The drawing only shows the orthogonal distance between top/bottom lines.

Here is a link to my document:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5b630a8a8e045370a421fedb/w/e173b971cb5828812ae651c8/e/0638323d3e7aafb0f2f1e9db

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @wolfgang_maier

It looks like you found the correct callouts here (I checked with the measure tool in the part studio and the 219 and 190 look correct for the two different sides):

Did you figure out your issue or are these values still unsatisfactory?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • wolfgang_maierwolfgang_maier Member Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
    @wolfgang_maier

It looks like you found the correct callouts here (I checked with the measure tool in the part studio and the 219 and 190 look correct for the two different sides):
    Did you figure out your issue or are these values still unsatisfactory?
    No, i just corrected the wrong values by hand.
    The problem is that dimensions are not correct in oblique views.
    I posted change request!

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited February 2018
    Hi @wolfgang_maier

Please vote on the following improvement request for 'true dimensions' to help us prioritize this work:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8519/support-of-drawing-dimensions-in-oblique-views-true-dimensions

What you're seeing in all of those cases is the 'paper space' distance of the projection of the view in question.  For the side on views (the ones showing the vertical distance), this is usually what is desired, but for the oblique views it's a little less useful.

EDIT: Oops! That's your IR already.  Thanks for logging it!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team