Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Renaming Multiple Drawing Sheets according to inserted part or assembly

Hi,
is there a way to automaticly rename sheets in the drawing according to inserted part or assembly? So I could have one drawing tab with multiple sheets and the sheet name would be a part name or part number (not sheet 1, sheet 2...). Now you have to rename each sheet manualy. So when you have for example a 100 parts with multiple assembles and subassembles it takes time and slows donwn all workflow.
Also it would be great if you could export in to individual PDF files (pages) and the PDF file name would be that sheet name of the drawing.
Maybe its posible to write a macros for that? 

This is how a sheet tree in the drawing tab could look like

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment there is no way to do this. I've never seen any other CAD program do this either. The closest I've seen is automatically naming the drawing file, but not each individual sheet. You can submit an enhancement request if it's something your company needs.
  • Options
    Andrius_LengvinasAndrius_Lengvinas Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Hi, thank you for your quick answer. Yes, you are right, no CAD program can do this, but you can write a macros for that. The picture I attached before was a print screen of Inventor drawing sheets. I have made 2 macros - one for renaming sheet and the other one - exporting individual PDF files.
    So my question is - can I write a macros to do that in Onshape?
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I forgot to answer that part. For now macro support is not straightforward. The typical way that users customize OS is through FeatureScript. However, FeatureScript only works in a part studio. If you want something that will work in drawings, you may be able to use the API.