Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Faces parametrization

konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm trying to implement FS that would make nonlinear transform of solids and surfaces. I'm using evFaceTangentPlanes() to get face parametrization and faced a problem - in some cases (especially for planar faces) a pair of internal parameters (u,v) gives a point within face, but in some other cases the point appears on the face propagation and doesn't belong to the face itself. is it the correct behavior? because i would expect face parametrization to return only points within the face.

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov

You are seeing the correct behavior.  The UV parameterization of that face is tied to the UV parameter of the underlying surface, which often does not match the boundary of the face itself. Sorry for the trouble.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options

at least i tried
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Yeah, that's a consequence of trimmed surfaces in B-Reps.
    You can still filter out points outside the face boundary using qContainsPoint, but that might be slow.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    finally the idea works, though it takes several dozens seconds per transform of a small part (my test snail) but it still is not reliable enough because of face parametrization.