Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it possible to dimension after extruding a part?

or is dimensioning  only good in 2d sketching?

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I understand the question. But if you want to change the size or shape of an extrude, you should either modify the depth or change its sketch. So yes, dimension your sketch.
  • Options
    Gary_Fahey34077Gary_Fahey34077 Member Posts: 3 PRO
    I suspect I have the same question, but let me phrase it differently.  I have a component that is the result of an extrusion.  After a boolean operation joining it to another extrusion, then shelling the extrusions, the result is a shorter piece.  But it is founded off of a longer center to end dimension.  I am trying to get a dimension of the net (shorter) length.  Further, I would like to show the dimension on the 3-D view rather than on a drawing.

Is any of this possible in OnShape?
  • Options
    That’s a whole lot of verbal hand waiving. No clue what you want either. Link to your doc or at least a pic showing what you’re trying to do?
  • Options
    You can measure the length by starting a sketch on a plane that goes through the center. You can add a pierce constraint between a point and the trimmed curve. You can also Use or Interdect the flat surface of the tube. Now you can add a dimension to measure between the line and the point.