Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Parts without solid geometry

paul_masserpaul_masser Member Posts: 15 PRO
How can I import a part that doesn't have any solid geometry (only surfaces/meshes) into an assembly so that it can be overlaid as a reference to check newly built geometry to, or align internal components to?
I've been given ID surfaces from another system but am struggling to use them. It seems I have to build the geometry in the imported data part directly, I can't use the surface data as an overlay as the part is not recognised.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    paul_masserpaul_masser Member Posts: 15 PRO
    Thanks. Because I was supplied motors as STEP assemblies and reference Industrial Design as surfaces, I did indeed have to do everything in a Part Studio. I had to import the motor assembly flattened as a part, and then derive the imported Industrial Design surfaces (with errors) into that part, and transform it to align.