Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to assembly imported part/assembly?

Brian_McVeighBrian_McVeigh Member Posts: 78 PRO
edited March 2018 in General
Hi all,
I have a STEP file provided by a supplier, that consists of around 80 individual parts. I can happily import this into Onshape into either a single part studio, or an assembly.  The problem arises when I want to then bring it into another assembly, and constrain it to parts I have designed.  Since it is a multi-body part/assembly, when I try and add constraints, it only moves the individual part of the import, not the entire sub-assembly.  I really don't want to have to go in, and add constraints to all 80 parts of this imported assembly - I effectively want it to be treated as a single solid part - is there any way to achieve this?

I was hoping I could add all the parts of the imported file to an assembly, apply 'Fix' constraints to them, and then import that assembly into my design and constrain from there, however this doesn't work, and Onshape ignores the 'Fix' constraints of the original assembly in the new assembly.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Brian_McVeighBrian_McVeigh Member Posts: 78 PRO
    Found it!  For anyone else looking for the same info, need to apply a Group mate to the parts.