Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

More tools for working with curves

Brian_McVeighBrian_McVeigh Member Posts: 78 PRO
Some more options for generating curves would be very useful for surface modelling:

• Intersection curve would be great, between surface and surface, or surface and plane.
  • Extract curve would also be useful, giving the ability to generate a curve from an existing edge.
  • Split/Trim curve.  
Tagged:

Comments

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    @Brian_McVeigh, I agree that better support for editing wireframe geometry would be nice, but most of what you're requesting can be accomplished with existing tools.

Extract Curve: For all intents and purposes, Composite Curve does everything that a typical Extract command would do, including converting solid/surface edges into curves.

Intersection Curve: You can't directly generate an intersection curve, but it's possible to split a face with another face, surface, or plane. Once you've done that, you can use Composite Curve to extract the desired curve segments from the newly split face. The only difference between this and a true intersection curve is the splitting face/surface/contour cannot have a boundary edge that penetrates the face being split - i.e. you can't create a curve that terminates in the middle of a face.

Split/Trim Curve: You got me there. We can split bodies and faces. Splitting curves should be a no-brainer addition to the Split command.

• Brian_McVeighBrian_McVeigh Member Posts: 78 PRO
    Thanks for the tip on Composite curve - wasn't aware it could be used to 'extract' edges.

Besides the fact that creating a curve 'that terminates in the middle of a face' is quite often when I would want to use an 'intersection curve' tool, for me CAD is about efficiency.  The faster I can get to the end result the better, and using one tool to get the job done rather than two helps achieve that.

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @Brian_McVeigh
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/84d939daceef6a928b8abcba
    For intersections, you can use my opBoolean FS (see above), which has surface and localizedInFaces compatibility.
    When localizedInFaces is checked, the feature will accept faces as input, allowing you to intersect, union and subtract faces
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100