Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trimming Surfaces

Wolfie87Wolfie87 Member Posts: 3
I'm currently modelling a phone mount which will be integrated into another model.

I've revolved a sketch to create a surface which as can be seen below dissects the solid model. What I'd like is to be able to trim the surface where it meets the solid, thereby creating an edge to the surface which butts up to the solid.

This should eliminate the part of the surface shown below which is inside the phone case if that makes sense? What feature can I use for this? The idea is similar to trim, but that only works for sketches. I've tried split, but that didn't seem to work.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @Wolfie87

Split should work, but you may need to first make a surface off of the phone case.  If you post a link to your document we can put together an example.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    Wolfie87Wolfie87 Member Posts: 3
    Got it yes, that is working as I wanted now, thank you. So it has to be a surface rather than a solid that does the splitting. 

Is there any other way of turning a solid's face into a surface other than using the 'offset surface' feature and setting the offset to 0? That does seem to work if there isn't though. 
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @Wolfie87

That's the most straightforward way of doing it.  Another way would be to copy the phone case, hide the original, and then 'delete face' with 'leave open' option one one of the unrelated faces of the phone case.  That approach is kind of hacky though, if you want to turn the whole phone case into a surface you could just hide everything else and box select the whole phone into a 0-offset Offset surface.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team