Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Importing from Excel

I am really fascinated with how powerful OnShape is, I am still assessing it. On my work, I have a small matlab code that calculates parameters of a set of features and exports these parameters to an excel spreadsheet. I then read this excel file into my current CAD modelling system which automatically patterns the selected feature following the parameters in the excel sheet.
I was capable of building a small script inside OnShape that was capable of patterning the selected feature based on the parameters I input into the function successfully. The issue that for each feature I have 8 parameters. I usually have 75+ of these features. I can't input each parameter 1 by 1.
Does anyone have the same issue, is there any work around that would facilitate data entry to OnShape that can then be utilized to by the system?
TIA

Comments

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,178
    You can upload a CSV file from Excel into OnShape and use it in FeatureScript.  See https://cad.onshape.com/FsDoc/imports.html#importing-external-data and post (with a link to your document) if you run into issues -- we'll help!
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    if your parameter calculations doesn't involve some complex math with integration or differentiation would be better to directly write it in featurescript. if native implementation is not possible the data can be copied and pasted into feature studio as some of the FS container type constants directly or imported and read from the file as Ilya said
  • Options
    mohammed_abdullatifmohammed_abdullatif Member Posts: 3
    You can upload a CSV file from Excel into OnShape and use it in FeatureScript.  See https://cad.onshape.com/FsDoc/imports.html#importing-external-data and post (with a link to your document) if you run into issues -- we'll help!
    that solves it.

Thank you.
  • Options
    mohammed_abdullatifmohammed_abdullatif Member Posts: 3
    if your parameter calculations doesn't involve some complex math with integration or differentiation would be better to directly write it in featurescript. if native implementation is not possible the data can be copied and pasted into feature studio as some of the FS container type constants directly or imported and read from the file as Ilya said
    Thanx, but on matlab I actually solve partial differential equations that govern the distribution of my features...more over, the code on matlab is huge, rebuilding it inside FS would be very inefficient.

Thank you
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx, but on matlab I actually solve partial differential equations that govern the distribution of my features...more over, the code on matlab is huge, rebuilding it inside FS would be very inefficient.
    that sounds cool, good luck then.