Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

from mesh to solid? possible?

franco_otaolafranco_otaola Member Posts: 23
hello,
i wanted to use the model of a hand to make a 3D model that adapts perfectly to the hand curvature, my problem is that i found a free 3D model that is a mesh, so i cant use it in a assembly to be able to edit in context or use the volume of the hand to subtract the volume of it.

is there any possibility to make a solid from the mesh? or at least a surface (or each surface between each point of the mesh) of it ?

thanks a lot

Comments

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    now fill command allows to select sampling points and it should work with mesh nodes, but if you need to convert the whole mesh object it is not the best approach
  • Options
    larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Looking for this same ability to convert mesh to solid. Don't need a lot of features regarding same just the ability to have a mesh converted to a solid that might be placed in an assembly.
  • Options
    michael_watsonmichael_watson Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Try using the free application Meshmixer.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Yes there are solutions outside of OnShape, including software like Fusion 360 that will do the conversion to solid. Only saying it would be nice to have the capability within Onshape.
  • Options
    Tried meshmixer and I'm sure there's a method that works to turn an STL in to a usable solid in OnShape but after a frustrating hour I could not figure it out. Am I the sharpest tool in the shed? Hardly but I have been using computers and software for almost 30 years and the technique is not obvious, easy, nor intuitive. Not saying it's not possible but so far only frustration... 
  • Options
    Oh Yeah, also tried FreeCad (crashed every time a solid export was selected) Instep, which simply did not work, an app here in OnShape which I could not figure out the interface for its limited usage and really don't want to download and learn Fusion 360 only to find it may or may not actually work either.
  • Options
    david_258david_258 Member, Developers Posts: 12
    Power Surfacing for Onshape will convert SubD meshes into Onshape solids.  And in the next few weeks, we will release a version that converts scanned meshes into Onshape solids.  See www.cyborg3d.com.
  • Options
    david_258david_258 Member, Developers Posts: 12
    Power Surfacing for Onshape will convert SubD meshes into Onshape solids.  And in the next few weeks, we will release a version that converts scanned meshes into Onshape solids.  See www.cyborg3d.com.
  • Options
    Ethan_RejtoEthan_Rejto Member Posts: 4
    I downloaded Fusion 360 just to do this then uploaded back to Onshape
  • Options
    I downloaded Fusion 360 just to do this then uploaded back to Onshape
    Yeah I've been tempted to do the same thing as I have a similar need. Seems like a gaping hole in OnShape's feature set...
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    IR here should you wish to add your votes:- https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/31857#Comment_31857
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd