Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements on a Universal Case for 3d Printers

paul_prinsloopaul_prinsloo Member Posts: 1
Hozid Guys. 

Been having fun on Onshape and designed a scaleable case/box to be printed with a 3d printer. I am not sure if I selected the correct Category but here goes. 
You can set the height , width , length and hole size of the grid but I battle to Fill the side panels with hexagon shapes (using the FP script) The only way I seem to be able to get more "fill" is to decrease the hole size but on larger sizes there is still plenty space to add more shapes. Any other suggestions on the design will also be appreciated.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6499fe3f8058df185792c4f8/w/11aec8d98f43718efb1b8a63/e/7e289cdd1fa167efdb2871c1

Best regards
Paul

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @paul_prinsloo

Ok, I don't know why the fill pattern is not going all the way to the edge - I will ask the guy that wrote it on Monday! :)
    In the meantime, here is a 'trick' that i use - it works for many things (surprisingly useful when i want a 'keep edge' fillet) :)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0307f5ff261ca496863c8f51/w/1ad19ad59c33416a9bc44ed7/e/87fb5b66c0607e225249e93f

Since i have spent some time to help you, i am also going to beat you a little with my 'good modeling practices' stick.
    PLEASE STOP MAKING ASSEMBLIES IN PART STUDIOS - THATS WHAT ASSEMBLIES ARE FOR!

Why? Because there is no instancing in Part Studios. Even the same part is considered a new part.
    It's much faster/efficient to build this in an assembly with these benefits;
    Performance
    Correct Bill of Materials
    Motion

Please feel free to ask any questions.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape