Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Inserting parts in assembly : How are you using search and public documents?

Phil_DyzePhil_Dyze Member Posts: 12 PRO
Hey guys,

I've been working with Onshape more seriously for about one week and I really think it's a powerful CAD system.

However, I thought the public documents could make me save time, but it's not doing it at all at the moment. While searching for documents, it's very hard to find what we are looking for, most documents are only imports, have no release, no configuration, etc.

I ended up making my own configurable stepper motor, bearing, etc.

For comparison, I use an electronic software called Circuit Maker, which links its cloud database to a standard search engine for parts. I know there is no equivalent in mechanical, but the way they have managed a public sharing and standards is amazing and working exceptionally well.

How do you guys manage to use the public content efficiently?

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Phil_Dyze - Hmmm. While i wouldn't normally say that something in Onshape is 'less than optimal', the public document repository may well qualify.  That said, i would offer the following;

For most companies, the range of standard parts needed is fairly finite and static.
    There are some excellent resources in the learning center (two tech papers that come to mind are; setting up company libraries and importing vendor data) that should walk you through getting these set up.
    Longer term, we have a list of things people are asking us to work on and the public documents are definitely something that will eventually get a makeover.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask here, or as a pro-user, you have the 'feedback' tool that you can use to open tickets.

I hope this helps

Philip :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Phil_DyzePhil_Dyze Member Posts: 12 PRO
    Thanks Philip, this is very good to hear! I'll definitely take a look at these techs paper very soon, I still have a few tutorials to finish before heading to more advanced stuff.