Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can't make internal thread in conical hole

I've literally been at this for hours. I'm trying to make an internal thread in a conical hole that I made in a plate-like object. But every time I perform the 'Sweep' feature, making sure to select 'Remove', the feature never generates properly and I cannot understand why. This is a group project and unfortunately my other group members did not give me sharing permissions for the part studio so here are a few screenshots of my current dilemma. 

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you. 

- David

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    If you hover over red header on "Sweep1" it should give the error as a tool tip. What does that report?
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @david_rojas100

I suspect that the swept part here is self-intersecting.  There is probably an error message saying as much if you hover your mouse over the red "Sweep 1" either in the Feature List or at the top of the Feature Dialog.

If you keep your Feature Dialog open, and press the eye icon next to "Side Plate" in the Parts List to hide it, you will be able to see the full error graphics for this sweep.  I suspect that for the first few turns your triangular cross section is fine, but as it gets to the bottom the turns are tight enough that the sweep profile begins to intersect itself.

Maybe design the triangular profile at the bottom of the helix instead of the top to get a sense of how much space you have?

Or do something similar to the fix in this other thread:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/39403#Comment_39403
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team