Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Local server

I love Onshape's revisioning and branching mechanics as well as the convenience of sharing links to drawings, etc. It makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons as the future of CAD. Among my handful of pet peeves though, the biggest issues I have are working with ITAR material and the varying lag in usage due to internet latency.

Why doesn't Onshape offer a local server client as a service to companies? Onshape central could still push software updates and access things as necessary for maintenance, etc., but latency would be greatly reduced on that network and any company that has export controls in place has a secure server already. Anyone within the company could still make use of the important features that make working with shared CAD feasible, with no concern for data security. It would just be up to the company itself whom Onshape links are shared with, but that's already an issue with any company-server-hosted files.

I've mentioned this to the staff I've interacted with over the phone, but have had issues fully communicating the idea.
I'm open to input on why this would be a good idea or would not be feasible, either technically or economically for either party.
Also open to reassurances from Onshape staff that this feature is in the works and will be released very soon. :wink: