Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mate Connector

robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
In a project I have a spring that is meant to be part of a handle. In the part studios I have assigned a mate connector to the center of the spring and I have assigned a mate connector a point in the handle where I want the spring to be located in the Assembly. In the Assembly, the mate connector of the spring is no longer located in the position I assigned it to in the part studio. This misplacement does not allow me to position the spring along the handle. What have I done wrong? Is there a better method to accomplish this assembly of those two parts? - Scotty

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c9bf13ebd64cdd56196ffd0a/w/45e7acf352925c54c6faec7b/e/3e809abc5e2634df93a8abb6

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your response and solution. After attaining the desired result following your advice and then continuing on I noticed that I had two spring connectors; One in the assembly and one in the part studio. Evidently I did attempt to join the handle and spring in the part studio. Perhaps assigning two like connectors to the same part and then attempting to join both to one other part was the source of the problem rather than the transforms. I agree that the part studio would be the better place to do it, reasoning that they are essentially one part and perhaps avoiding some complication/clutter in the assembly (at least for this novice). - Scotty
  • Options
    larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Yeah I created both the spring and the handle in the same part studio, assigned mates and connected them there. Worked as expected but I think there's no reason not to create all the parts in their own part studio and mate them in the assembly. Avoids confusion and keep the assembly as the mating medium, perhaps as intended.
  • Options
    Scotty, I have a quick question for you. I was going to duplicate the spring you have but saw that the part was derived and linked from another document so I couldn't see how it was done. Could you share how you got that conical shape from what I assume is a helix and a sweep?

Thanks
  • Options
    Scotty, I have a quick question for you. I was going to duplicate the spring you have but saw that the part was derived and linked from another document so I couldn't see how it was done. Could you share how you got that conical shape from what I assume is a helix and a sweep?

Thanks I figured it out, if anyone wants to know how let me know.
  • Options
    Thank you Scotty - appreciate you taking the time. Looks like that same way I got it done - eventually :)