Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Way to unwind rope from one spool to another?

chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I figured it was worth asking. People do some amazing things with Onshape
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2f2a6c16d9881cf261c18e37/w/c1dfbcd3147fff60c372b2a5/e/796ba4fe86e35b4a01e01bbc

Best Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    FS can definitely help do this and a lot of other useful things, but in this case I was just using conditional logic with variables. That alone doesn't require FS - just an understanding of variable expressions. In this case I was just using an alternate version of an IF statement (X?A:B translates to If X is true do A, if not then do B).

Answers

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I can't think of a way to do this as a smooth animation within OS, but I'm pretty sure you can link the height of helix2 to the height of helix 1 using in-context references. This would give you a similar effect as winding/unwinding both spools, but only when you updated the context. You could then create an animation by grabbing individual frames and stitching them together with a gif editor, but I don't think a live OS animation is possible. You can only animate mates/relations, not part rebuilds. If you model everything in one part studio it would be a little easier, but it still wouldn't animate smoothly. I'll take a look at it.
  • Options
    Wow, thanks for looking into this @mahir .   I've skirted away from FS coding so far because I never feel like I have time to learn it.  But now it seems I should start reading.   I appreciate your input!

Chris
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    FS can definitely help do this and a lot of other useful things, but in this case I was just using conditional logic with variables. That alone doesn't require FS - just an understanding of variable expressions. In this case I was just using an alternate version of an IF statement (X?A:B translates to If X is true do A, if not then do B).
  • Options
    Ah, ok,  I'm familiar with variables in general, but haven't used if/then statements yet.   When I finally finish my current pile of work I'll try it out