Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Rolled sheet metal

brian_pinder662brian_pinder662 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
Hello there, new project. Could anyone help. I would like to add some holes to a rolled sheet metal part but can't see how this can be done. Can anyone say if this is possible, if so a little advice would be appreciated.
Brian

Comments

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    edited May 2018
    Hey @brian_pinder662

You can add holes to a rolled piece of sheet metal but we'd like to clarify a few things first. Do you want the hole to be circular before or after it is rolled? Right now we can only help with creating holes that you want to be circular after the part is rolled resulting in a potential ovular shape in the flat pattern (we can't design in the flat pattern right now).

You can either sketch out your hole features as seen here:

Or use the hole feature as seen here:

You can find more general info around our sheet metal but looking at this section of our help documentation.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• brian_pinder662brian_pinder662 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Many thanks for your reply, but how would you apply a workplane to the rolled surface in order to create the sketch. Sorry if this seams obvious to you but I have still a lot to learn 
    Brian
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @brian_pinder662

I may be misunderstanding your question, but arbitrary planes can be defined using the "Plane" feature:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/cplane.htm

You cannot sketch directly on a rolled surface, currently sketching can only be accomplished on construction planes (created by the "Plane" feature) or planar faces.  You can either sketch a circle and then "Extrude" with "remove" option to cut the circle, or you can sketch a point and use the "Hole" feature.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/extrude.htm
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/hole.htm
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited May 2018
    Also a common misconception, if you're say extruding a circle to make a hole, then that plane / sketch does not have to touch the surface you wish to cut.  It can be away from the part.  The extrude can then project towards the part as far as needed.

There is also a nice featurescript that will make you a plane tangent to a surface should you need one.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • brian_pinder662brian_pinder662 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Thanks again for your replies, I am sure I will get there now.
    Best regards tro all, Brian.