Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

general question Architecture

digtalcarbondigtalcarbon Member Posts: 42 PRO
Hello All,  I have beed using Onshape for my fabrication drawings and it is the best!!  My background is 25 years architecture & I use Vectorworks for that.

Having used both programs I now know that they both do 3d very differently. One is not better that the other but by using them both I get the best of both worlds...
(like reinforced concrete)

However, here is the problem with all Architectural modeling. (see link)

VW Buffet Concept
https://youtu.be/-5Kp_H7pLjI

So I was wondering if anyone (Architectural CAD companies) was thinking of working with Onshape to develop an Architectural version?

To be clear, I'm not wishing for Onshape to do Architectural...rather, a new browser based Architectural cad that has the same user friendly & share ability as Onshape.

The people at Vectorworks developed this thing call VGM that allows me to fly around in very large models (shown in the link above) 
So I end up making these big models but then the model is held hostage on my computer because its not browser based...

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? (for the architectural world)

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @digtalcarbon (i had to type that three times before i realized there wasn't the expected 'i' in your screen name) :)

We are thrilled to hear that Onshape is working great for you. Cloud is definitely the way to go and we hope that many other design (CAD) companies go that route (like many other industries).

To get a better idea whether any architectural companies are thinking about modernizing, you may want to post in some of those forums - i doubt that they read these.

ps - nice video! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • digtalcarbondigtalcarbon Member Posts: 42 PRO
    @philip_thomas, i have posted to the Vectorworks forum
    https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/55989-a-case-for-browser-based-cad/

To be clear...this is not Onshape VS Vectorworks thing...they both cover an rather large range.  Architecture is presented differently. Whereas mechanical the end product is the "washing machine" and the public only sees that & all the engineers collaborate...in Architecture everyone, including the public, city officials, etc wants to see the model & how it effects their interests.  Currently there is no simple way to do share Architectural models. 

so I posted here in desperation...  

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @digtalcarbon - I hear what you're saying.
    Is there any benefit to using Onshape documents as containers for other data (eg Vectorworks) and sharing that?
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • John_GassJohn_Gass Member Posts: 5
    We have large model fly-around software that works with Onshape.  It may help you as it is completely browser based so you are not held hostage to your computer.  Check it out at www.3dtagz.com