Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Did I Just Kill This Public doc? Uh Yes I did..

larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
edited May 2018 in General
But only from user error or at least a misunderstanding of how to get out of an endless "Loading graphics" loop. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/27f4ca0110b2c794c62e67c2/w/5955a1e46aa05b0d87e049e5/e/d4c1f249581c0be123cfde2e

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Interesting... the doc would not load but now will but there are missing features. Never had that happen before.

The features were missing because I used the undo command multiple times that finally undid the features that looked like they has gone missing.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Nothing to see here...
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 697
    @larry_hawes

Please notice that if you check the state of when the Sweep 1 was inserted, it is there:
    Notice multiple undo steps right before the version. I think the model was not responding quickly enough to the undo clicks and you've "overdone" with undoing, including undo of adding Sweep and adding Helix. 
    Sounds like a UX issue to me: Undo does not give the user a clear idea of what exactly is being undone.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Not sure what a UX issue might be. OK Those undos were there to try and recover/reverse the spinning "Loading graphics" notice that would not stop. Should I just wait it out next time? And when I did get the doc to load those features were clearly missing as the version I created shows but they were only missing because I 'undid' them DOH...
  • Options
    OK I think I understand. All those undos as an attempt to get rid of the spinning timer 'undid' all the features that appeared to have gone missing. Is there room for a new acronym BHUE "Bone Headed User Error" I'm pretty sure that will fit here and thank you for your quick response. I'll edit my first post and the BHUE note to be clear.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @larry_hawes

Hitting undo just gives the system more to do.  First it will have to finish whatever operation was causing the spinner, and then it will have to undo that change (and, in this case, a bunch of changes before it).  The features are missing because you "undid" them.  Maybe there is a UX improvement here that we shouldn't let the user undo until the current operation is finished.  If you right click on "Edit Helix 1" before the undos start, you can restore that point in history (and the features will no longer be missing).
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    @larry_hawes

Hitting undo just gives the system more to do.  First it will have to finish whatever operation was causing the spinner, and then it will have to undo that change (and, in this case, a bunch of changes before it).  The features are missing because you "undid" them.  Maybe there is a UX improvement here that we shouldn't let the user undo until the current operation is finished.  If you right click on "Edit Helix 1" before the undos start, you can restore that point in history (and the features will no longer be missing).
    Got it Jake thank you
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    It's like what I tell everyone in my family about a stalled desktop OS as part of my involuntary free IT services. If your system is hung up trying to finish something, you can either wait for it to finish or forcefully end the task. Clicking the same button over and over just locks it up even worse.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    mahir said:
    It's like what I tell everyone in my family about a stalled desktop OS as part of my involuntary free IT services. If your system is hung up trying to finish something, you can either wait for it to finish or forcefully end the task. Clicking the same button over and over just locks it up even worse.
    Would love to know how to forcefully end a task in OS.
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 697
    Onshape does not have interrupt button, there must be an IR for it to vote on. For the situations like the one you've got into, current solution is to close the document and stay out of it for 10 minutes.
  • Options
    lana said:
    Onshape does not have interrupt button, there must be an IR for it to vote on. For the situations like the one you've got into, current solution is to close the document and stay out of it for 10 minutes.
    Thanks Lana, I do indeed understand how to deal with the spinning timer and closing the doc, I think will allow any operations to complete without interruption.