Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to make two holes with two shells?

lokchilinlokchilin Member Posts: 2

So I wanted to make two holes that are different in size, but when I added the second shell, it turned red and didn't work. I know that you can't make two shells on one extrude, but how to do that? Thanks

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @lokchilin

The way to accomplish this depends entirely on what you want the inner shaft to look like.  Two shells will not work, because on the second shell the system is just attempting to shell out the very small amount of material that you have left on your cylinder.  Here is an example of what two separate shells will do to an extrusion:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6f079fd4f1a071a8717dff5c/w/93633a3b7232760c4125726c/e/5cccce7dba45ed487fef2df5

How do you want this final part to look?  What should the wall thickness be at the top end? At the bottom end?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    edited May 2018
    I would imagine a modified sketch on each end with each shell dia. specified, then blind extrude/remove what ever distance each 'shell' required?

Or if you really wanted to use the shell feature you could offset a plane and split the part at that plane then use 'shell' with shell thicknesses for each part. or??