Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Use of sketches in assembly, and mates in sketches...

john_P37john_P37 Member Posts: 25 PRO
     Anyone know how to use sketches in an assembly?  I've looked in the documentation and it seems you can do this, but I can't find the details.    What I want to do is not complicated:   In particular, I have a sketch of some straight lines laid out, and I want to attach parts, via mates, to the end or midpoints of the lines.  It looks like if I have a sketch alone, I can't tie a mate to it:   The mate connector is looking for an owner part, and since this is just a sketch there is no part to be the owner. 
thanks,
John

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    In the meantime, you can add mate connectors to sketches in the assembly, no owner part required.
    How can one create a sketch in an assembly?

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @larry_hawes

Kevin is just saying that if you make a sketch in a Part Studio and bring it into an assembly, you can add the mates once the sketch is in the assembly.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    @larry_hawes

Kevin is just saying that if you make a sketch in a Part Studio and bring it into an assembly, you can add the mates once the sketch is in the assembly.
    Thanks Kevin, Jake - that will come in handy.