Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Computing transform for use with Instantiator

burt_harrisburt_harris Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
I'm writing a feature with two primary inputs:  a face on which to add the whole-lie feature, and a set of points specifying locations to instantiate them.   I'm having some trouble figuring out how to combine the two into a transform for the effect I'm looking for when calling addInstance().   

My current effort uses transform(worldToPlane3D(plane, vertex)) to map each of the input points onto the feature's plane, but I also want the plane to control the orientation of the feature, which isn't happening.   I've also used a transform derived from the plane so that the features are always facing the right way, but with that they always appear at the origin.    How can I combine the orientation from one transform with the location from another?
Tagged:

Comments