Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why are <>/\"?*|,=` invalid characters in drawing sheet names?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

I want to use a comma character in the sheet name.

I can understand the restriction if sheet names were used as the basis for file names on exported files, but I know of no export function that uses the drawing sheet name as the basis for a file name.  

This is really an platform OS specific issue. When an issue (invalid filename would be produced) the user should receive notification at the point of export and been given a simple means to make the necessary allowances.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    bobminerbobminer Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 50
    edited July 2018
    @StephenG -  Good question.  I am investigating.  It's a restriction we put in place about 3 years ago and I'll determine if it is still needed.  Thanks.
    Bob Miner - Software Engineer / Dev Leader - Drawings - Onshape, Inc.

• Options
    StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    I did a little research myself based on a hunch. It appears the restriction is to maintain compatibility with Autodesk products when exporting a drawing in DXF, DWG, DWT formats.

This kind of makes sense given the current limited capability of the OS Drawing function. I imagine a large number of OS drawings have to exported out as DWG files and "finished" in another product and then brought back to take advantage of OS data management and collaboration features.

Maybe this Autodesk (Autocad) sheet name compatibility should be controlled via a "Drawing properties" setting?