Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketching in Drawings

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see the sketching capabilities from part studio added to the drawing environment.

Some basic flat parts do not need full 3D to get them manufactured. A simple 2D drawing on a title block will work to keep with company/manufacturing standards. I know you can created a 2D sketch in the part studio and then show this sketch in drawings to have it on a title block. This seems just 1 extra step not needed. I would like the ability to open the drawing environment, start the sketch and then print. This would also be ideal if we could open a .dwg or .dxf in drawings and then edit it there without having to go to part studio and back to drawings to finalize on a title block.

In my vision you could either replace the line and spline command and have the sketch icon in the toolbar which would open the sketch toolbar, similar to how it is done in part studio. Or have a sketch icon on the side and the sketch toolbar would open. Below or images to refer to. I put the sketch toolbar below the main to show what would appear but I think to save space, but ideally when the sketch command is activate it would work similar to how it is done in part studio where the main bar is replaced with sketch commands until you exit.

Below is the link to the improvement request I created:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9784/sketching-in-drawings/p1?new=1

Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Tagged: