Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I insert my part sketches and dimensions into a drawing?

jeff_hall659jeff_hall659 Member Posts: 4 EDU
I've create a series of sketches with dimension within each sketch, and now I'd like to bring them into a drawing. Can't seem to do that. I want to show all sketch geometry and dimensions in one screen. There are no solids in the part studio, just 3 sketches and lots of dimensions.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    edited July 2018
    In drawings - sketches yes, dimensions no. You can print from the part studio if you need to see dimensions. Right click sketch > show dims, then print from the "hamburger" menu top left.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to have a new drawing seeded with the driving dimensions for a part, preferably with a switch to turn the option off when the drawing is created.
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    It would be nice to have a new drawing seeded with the driving dimensions for a part, preferably with a switch to turn the option off when the drawing is created.
    This would not only be nice but is necessary for a productive CAD package. It has been requested already but not (yet) implemented. 
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    In drawings - sketches yes, dimensions no. You can print from the part studio if you need to see dimensions. Right click sketch > show dims, then print from the "hamburger" menu top left.
    Any chance that we will be able to show dimensions from all or multiple sketches for printing? Also, when will Onshape fix the font and arrow scaling when printing? This is not a "what you see is what you get" process. The text and arrows are virtually invisible when printed because they are so small even though they look nice on the screen.
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @brian_brady
    Try printing onto an a5 or A6 size
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    This would not only be nice but is necessary for a productive CAD package. It has been requested already but not (yet) implemented. 
    Does anyone know if there is an IR for this?  I never have much luck when looking for existing requests.
  • Options
    @brian_brady
    Try printing onto an a5 or A6 size
    Wow, that is not intuitive. That helps the text match the object, but the part takes up less and less of the printed area. Plus the lines and text are jagged.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    NeilCooke said:
    Any chance that we will be able to show dimensions from all or multiple sketches for printing? Also, when will Onshape fix the font and arrow scaling when printing? This is not a "what you see is what you get" process. The text and arrows are virtually invisible when printed because they are so small even though they look nice on the screen.
    Hi Brian, the best way to ensure your dimensions and views are at the scale you want them to be is to create a drawing. Part Studios are for modelling, so while I understand why you want to do it, there are more pressing features to be added right now. If the voting takes it to the top of the list then I’m sure it’ll get implemented. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI