Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Organizing Variable Parameters in the Tree

michael_mcdonald047michael_mcdonald047 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
Is there any way to clean up a very long list user defined variables listed in the tree?  I am using configurations but they seem to be designed for creating multiple design alternatives for one part that can be retrieved by configuration name.  It's rather disappointing that it seems local variables cannot be defined within configurations.  By that I mean a variable that is only used by the configuration and invisible when in part Studio.  Alternatively, it would be nice to be able to organize variables under a stem on the tree.  Dragging them up and down the tree does make it a little better organized but not very much.

Michael

Comments

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully, feature tree folders are implemented sooner than later. In the meantime, you can trim down your list by complicating your equations. For example, if var A drives var B drives var C, you could in theory get away with having only var A but adding the equations used in var B & C directly into the dimensions that use them. This makes the equations driving your dimensions more complicated and harder to debug, but your list of variables would be shorter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @michael_mcdonald047

Maybe this will help:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a687849c498d53b10e68b53e/w/3c0bcf82c9df872fa92a90a1/e/c748514e9cd4bb3eb4600c34

I wrote a custom feature that allows you to set as many variables as you want at once.  The one catch is that due to current limitations of FeatureScript, you will need one feature per variable type.

To add this custom feature to your toolbar click the "+ custom features" button in the toolbar of the document I linked to.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team