Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Wondering about hardware for abosulte max performance on onshape

DevinDevin Member Posts: 4
Hi,
I have looked through a lot of the forum questions and I know that you need minimal hardware to run onshape just requiring a dedicated graphics card and some ram. However I have use onshape on my friends msi laptop which was top of the line last year which has a 1060 and 16gb of ram with an i7 however performance wasn't phenomenal I mean it ran but when I got into assemblies with 100+ parts it started to slow down performance and wasn't as enjoyable to use. I verified it was using the GPU inside chrome so that was an issue. I have a desktop with a 1080 that runs onshape extremely well and is smooth even with very large assemblies. I'm looking for a laptop that can handle it similiary and am looking at one with a 1050ti and core i9 and was wondering if anyone has used a laptop with  1050ti and gotten very good performance in large assemblies.

Thank you so much

Answers

• Options
    Eric_GauthierEric_Gauthier Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Hi @devin_willis

If you use your laptop on battery, the GPU will not perform well at all to preserve your battery. You need to run your laptop while plugged in the wall outlet. If you look at the link below, you'll see the difference in performance in the animation where the laptop was on battery at first and then plugged to the wall outlet.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/onshape-tirer-pleinement-profit-de-la-performance-sa-eric-gauthier
  • Options
    daniel_cookdaniel_cook Member Posts: 48 PRO
    Hi,
    I have looked through a lot of the forum questions and I know that you need minimal hardware to run onshape just requiring a dedicated graphics card and some ram. However I have use onshape on my friends msi laptop which was top of the line last year which has a 1060 and 16gb of ram with an i7 however performance wasn't phenomenal I mean it ran but when I got into assemblies with 100+ parts it started to slow down performance and wasn't as enjoyable to use. I verified it was using the GPU inside chrome so that was an issue. I have a desktop with a 1080 that runs onshape extremely well and is smooth even with very large assemblies. I'm looking for a laptop that can handle it similiary and am looking at one with a 1050ti and core i9 and was wondering if anyone has used a laptop with  1050ti and gotten very good performance in large assemblies.

Thank you so much
    A laptop with a 1050Ti will be slower than the 1060 you weren't impressed with. The Core i9 won't help with Onshape at all unless you are using it and simultaneously trying to stream, transcode or something else CPU intensive.