Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

If Anyone Would Be Interested in a Pet Project to Model in Onshape...

Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
edited August 2018 in General

I would love to see this mechanism example working in Onshape!  :) Not only does it require aggressive part-to-part relationships, it contains a complex linkage system to form a final result required ('Pokeball' shape). It would also make for a very cool marketing example to show off Onshape. It also presents the problem of having "Patterned" or "Mirrored" parts in the assembly, but best practice for Part Studio's you would only model one set of the linkage parts even though the user would potentially like to visualize the entire assembly prior to assembly.

https://youtu.be/CqLStpRFdWY

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited August 2018

That looks like fun. B)

The patterned and mirrored "instances" have workarounds today.  Just in case you've not seen them before...

(a) Mirrored:- Use an In Context Edit of the sub assembly, copy in place via transform, create a mirror plane, mirror parts , then squirt to a new sub-assy.  Probably takes longer to describe than to actually do, but we still see folks making mirror assemblies from scratch on the forum.

This new parts won't have the meta data though. It's easy to set with a feature script though.  Does anyone know if the are "get" parameters in FS as well as "Set"?  (For colour PN, Material etc. That way we could clone the seed part and keep the BOM accurate.) 

(b) Patterned:- Personally I'd make a dummy helper solid with explicit mates in the PartStudio and then use those mate points in the main assembly for the instances.

Neither are as streamlined true as assembly methods but I believe they'd get the job done with the tools we have available to us today. :)

Would the nice folks that built it share some step / parasolids with OS users or are you looking at reverse engineering it from scratch?

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO

Neither are as streamlined true as assembly methods but I believe they'd get the job done with the tools we have available to us today. :)

Would the nice folks that built it share some step / parasolids with OS users ore are you looking at reverse engineering it from scratch?

Thanks for the additional info Owen as I'm getting more and more informed/comfortable at the Part Studio > Assembly Philosophy. This in my opinion would simply be cool reverse-engineered example made public in Onshape. Aside from what you've added/mentioned, it could also show off how to organize the folder structure for the project.