Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can we run multiple simulations in a row?

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
I'm using FEA iteratively to compare various scenarios and part geometry. Is there a way to create a queue of simulations using different loads and different part configurations, then run them all while I'm away at lunch or asleep?
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    Just a guess, but do multiple browser windows work?
  • Options
    S1mon said:
    Just a guess, but do multiple browser windows work?
    I was wondering that. I'll give it a test.
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    I tend to duplicate the assembly once I have the loads set up - then swap in the changed parts (replace, select different configurations, set different load or constraint conditions, etc). 
    This way, I can run the simulations in each assembly concurrently without problem. I don't think you'll be able to run different simulations on the same assembly in different browsers unless you separate them with branches or something. (Kind of like how the position of the rollback bar is cannot be different in different windows (or for different users) if you are viewing the same Part Studio in the same workspace).

I just checked by adding a new load in another instance of an Assembly - and it (predictably) updates the first Assembly and restarts the Simulation.
    Another reason to have discrete assemblies for each analysis is that it takes so long to rerun if you wanted to A/B an assembly - that it's better to have  a unique simulation in each Assembly tab. If you don't change anything - the simulations (might) run a bit faster when you want to come back and take some screenshots or compare results.
  • Options
    Thanks, Romeo. I will consider that. I also want to experiment with just versioning each time I get a setup that I like. That way I can name each version something meaningful, and can always branch later to iterate on one. To make that repeatable, I probably need to un-configure the assembly and just hard code changes to the variables.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,516 PRO
    One trick I've been using to avoid "re-starts" when running simulation(s) in different windows is to just run the simulation on the last microversion instead of the "workspace", this way I can keep going and/or prepare the next "run" without messing up the on-going one.
  • Options
    great tip, Eric
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    One trick I've been using to avoid "re-starts" when running simulation(s) in different windows is to just run the simulation on the last microversion instead of the "workspace", this way I can keep going and/or prepare the next "run" without messing up the on-going one.
    Wow - this is an interesting tip - and it works!
  • Options
    it does, though they don't seem to keep running if you leave the tab too long, so overnight still probably isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    Hmmm. Is it time for one of those hacks where you make your mouse move periodically?

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
     I did one the other night. Didn't have it running all night just around an hour. 
     I use a Mac so I set up Automator to press the J key and put that on a 5-minute loop. Seemed to work fine but I think I would have to set that up each time because when I closed everything down and restarted my computer it it seemed to have lost some connection to the browser. 
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    edited February 23
    There is a little app out there to do that for you: https://wiggler.systems (This one is for windows, but there are similar ones for other OSes.)