Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to use onshape when the file I wish to import is 174Mb and my DSL upload speed is 0.4Mbps?

mark_whitnellmark_whitnell Member Posts: 8
Ok, I tried to import an stl to edit in onshape, but my dsl upload speed is 0.4Mbps and it was going to take hours to upload.
I remember when Autocad was on the horizon in about 1986, and eventually released a PC cad software V 1.01.  Years later they introduce a version that resided on the company server, and designer could access the software from the server....some companies did this and loaded the software to the server, not to each PC cad station....The companies I worked with thought this idea was ridiculous, and chose to put the software on each designers computer.  The companies who decided the other way, lost design efforts when the server went offline, and designers were idle at their workstations.  It wasn't long before every designer had their own copy of software on their PC and the server idea was abandoned.  I do remember in the late 80s IBM came out with CAD software that was server based and the design drawing could be opened by more than one person at the same time, each person could work on the same file at the same time...my company LTV aerospace was making the decision between IBM & Autocad...I rallyed around Autocad, but they choose IBM...about the same time I worked for Rockwell Intl who did work with Alice Springs, Australia.  IBM vs Windows was in the air....I rallyed around Windows but the company chose IBM OS/2...we all know how that faired.
So this cloud based software is libel to go the same as IBM.

Comments

• Options
    PauloPaulo Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Perhaps you can use the money you saved on not paying for Onshape to upgrade your broadband?
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    You're doing yourself a favor anyway. STL files are all trash, not even worth opening, IMO.
  • Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    I would suggest decimating the file down in size. You can use Meshlab (free software) to do this. This is under File>Remeshing>Simplification Quadratic Edge Collapse. You will probably need to repair the reduced file and you can do this using Meshmixer....also free! (so that's lucky!)
    A file of the size you are trying to use would be cumbersome in any CAD environment.
  • Options
    Good thought, however I have service from Centurylink, live on the outskirts of town, Centurylink says it will be 20years before they invest and run fiber to our house.  And our cell phones require wifi cause the closest tower is over 5 miles away and the cell tower closest has a signal of -120dB, so needless to say any boooster can not boost a non signal...what else do you have in mind?
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    Can you let it upload overnight. By my math it will only take 58 minutes if you are really getting .4 megabits per second. Or go to a coffee shop in town. Or go to town and use the hotspot from your cellphone to your computer.

CAD has come full circle. My college in the mid 90's had a Unix server in an air-conditioned lab that hosted SDRC Ideas to dumb terminals. 10 years later everything was on a Windows PC on a desktop. Now we have the central server model again, but it's not local. It's in the cloud. This is not only Onshape. All the Google software is like this. Microsoft Office is like this now. Every email program is like this. Etc.
  • Options
    I have found a workaround...my wife works at a nonprofit, and goes in Sunday by herself.  They have fiber giga byte service.  It took about 20 seconds to upload the file.  You are right computer programs have come full circle...what a shame.  I never did figure out why anyone would store to a "cloud" when an extra hard drive for storage is less than $100 or so. 
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 278
    I never did figure out why anyone would store to a "cloud" when an extra hard drive for storage is less than $100 or so. 
    Collaboration, central source of truth, no need to email part_final3_final.x_t, and so forth. This stuff doesn't work if your software and files live on your machine. If you're interested, you can find more info here: https://www.onshape.com/en/why-onshape