Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to design to center of gravity?

mike_phillips329mike_phillips329 Member Posts: 3
I'm new to Onshape but have over two decades of design work on other CAD systems like Creo Parametric. How can I create a mate, plane or some other "feature" at the center of gravity of my assembly. I'm sure Onshape has this capability as all other systems I've used can easily do this.

Answers

• Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    As far as I know, Onshape will give you the CG of an assembly and its location (x,y,z from the origin), but I don't think you can use the datum mark as a mate connector (or any other means of locating features). Maybe others know something that I don't.
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,735 PRO

Here is a custom feature that will place a mate connector and a point at the center of gravity: Center of Gravity - Custom Feature

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 286 PRO
    The issue with this custom feature is that it does only work in part studios. I guess what is neeeded here is a tool that puts some representation, say a mate connector, at the current CG of an assembly, so it can be used to calculate and maybe drive dimensions of counterweights, reposition components, position the assembly balanced on an axis, or the like.
  • Options

@martin_kopplow, yep, that would be an issue. Too bad we don't have custom features for assemblies. The best way I can imagine doing this with the current tools would be to edit part of the assembly in context, use the CG tool, then you will have the updated center of mass with a mate connector. Anytime you need to change the assembly, click the update context button again to update. This is a pretty limited workflow though.

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 286 PRO
    @MichaelPascoe , well, that could at least be a workaround for smaller assemblies. I'd rather not try it on a helicopter first time, but might look into it with a smaller project. If there was a way to extract the coordinates from the CG dialog, we could put that to good use, probably in a more reliable manner, though. 
  • Options
    edited February 27

@martin_kopplow
    If you are going as complex as a helicopter, Find solution by @Konst_Sh may be of use to you. If you bring all your parts in context to a part studio, get the center of mass, then rotate what you need using variables to drive the movement, you could find the center of all of the center of masses for every combination of movement from the driving variables.

• Options
    Konst_ShKonst_Sh Member Posts: 43 PRO
    Worth to try if in-context bodies preserve density of originals. If yes then you can edit any assembly component in context, evaluate a center of gravity to every context body, and then calculate the overall center as linear combination of center vectors and masses divided by total mass. If this will not work, then it is probably the job for onshape api.