Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why is my mate assembly overdefined?

sylvan_blakesylvan_blake Member Posts: 2
My mate assembly is overdefined. I'm pretty sure all of my measurements are correct and I'm using fastened mates. My problem occurs when establishing the second mate between the under arm cushion and the side support and the second mate between the handle and the side support. I have also tried slider mates but I get the same problem. Thank you.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/806a70347326d9f6bb51727f/w/2adfaf81e763939fc7de6edb/e/96e003633d280eeaa7218674?renderMode=0&uiState=65f9c3454ca40d549131cd0d

Best Answer

• Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 214 PRO
    edited March 19 Answer ✓
    Onshape only requires one to constrain a part.  A Fastened mate fully constrains all 6 degrees of freedom of a part.  In your assembly:
    Part 1 <1> is fixed
    Fastened 1 fixes Part 1 < 3>
    Fastened 2 fixes Part 2 <1>
    Fastened 3 fixes Part 1 <2>
    Fastened 4 fixes Part 1 <4>

Any more mates will overdefine your assembly.

Answers

• Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 214 PRO
    edited March 19 Answer ✓
    Onshape only requires one to constrain a part.  A Fastened mate fully constrains all 6 degrees of freedom of a part.  In your assembly:
    Part 1 <1> is fixed
    Fastened 1 fixes Part 1 < 3>
    Fastened 2 fixes Part 2 <1>
    Fastened 3 fixes Part 1 <2>
    Fastened 4 fixes Part 1 <4>

Any more mates will overdefine your assembly.
  • Options
    GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 104
    Each (rigid) body has 6 degrees of freedom. One fasten mate constrains 6 DOF…

You have 6 bodies, and one is  already “fixed” so you need to constrain 5x6 DOF. Therefore 5 fastens will fully constrain it. 

If you suppress Fasten 2 and Fasten 4 all will be good on your model. And since you used one slider this leaves one DOF free to drag.