Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to make a wavy face like the one attached? Would someone be kind enough to explain this one?

daniel_fajkisdaniel_fajkis Member Posts: 5

Comments

• Options
    STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 77 PRO
    Ouch! You're not looking to do something easy!

Looks like you'll have to learn how to work with surfaces. The basics of working with surfaces are easy to learn but to achieve something like the image you show, it will take time for you to learn how to.

To get you started, here is what I would do:

1) Start with what is below the curve pointed with the blue arrow, let's call this curve the main curve.
    2) Create the main curve.
    3) Create the 2 surfaces indicated with the orange arrows (the surface on the right is hidden on your image). These 2 surfaces are touching the ends of the main curve. Let's call them the bottom and the side surfaces.
    4) Create the 2 blues curves in the "middle" since they look like planar. These curves are touching the bottom and side surfaces.
    5) Create the surface(s) between the main curve and the bottom and side surfaces. You might need more than one step to create them depending on the parameters you'll use (parameters like tangency, curvature, etc).

Hope this help you getting started.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 674 PRO
    It's too much work to do what you want, seriously. Pick a simpler shape.
  • Options
    just had a brainfart, but i appreciate the pointers, will definitely look more into what you said 
  • Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    Here's 2 quick versions, not very parametric I'm afraid. One uses 'Freeform Splines' by Evan Reece and the other is an Onshape 'Sculpt Face' by Maximilian Schommer, Onshape Inc.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7b355b6a9d2efbc0e82cf2e6/w/5ccc25344487158b2a29bc92/e/4cd1a697006359028f66d605

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited March 24
    This one is not overly complex, but requires a holistic approach, for everything is connected to everything, even with the invisible, where fiction becomes a part of reality. So, the magic ingredient here is massive overbuilding of the profiles and guides the surface is then lofted from:

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,384 PRO
    @martin_kopplow
    I saw this problem and it's been rattling around in my head. I was imagining an approach very much like this, so now I don't have to do it too.
  • Options
    you guys are the best, much appreciated