Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can't update base part in a context part

jason_lewis019jason_lewis019 Member Posts: 4
I'm trying to update this part design where it is based on an in context part that I modified, but I can't make it update the part. When i choose Update context it says "Context assembly primary instance is not set. Finish inserting part or set primary context before updating the assembly context."

this sounds to me like an x y problem.

My actual problem is I updated the shape of the "usb-c" socket on the model of the PCB. I want that to carry through to the in context part so i can model off it but it doesn't update there.

How do I update it?

copy of my design here:

tia.

Best Answer

• Options
    Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 95 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Because you created new parts in context (Parts 1 and 2 in Part Studio 3), it needs to be inserted into the assembly the context was created from before it will allow you to update it again. This is because there is no primary context. The message it gave you is what you need to follow. Once you insert the parts back into the assembly, it will allow you to update and see the changes you made to the usb-c socket carry over.

Answers

• Options
    Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 95 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Because you created new parts in context (Parts 1 and 2 in Part Studio 3), it needs to be inserted into the assembly the context was created from before it will allow you to update it again. This is because there is no primary context. The message it gave you is what you need to follow. Once you insert the parts back into the assembly, it will allow you to update and see the changes you made to the usb-c socket carry over.
  • Options
    jason_lewis019jason_lewis019 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you Rhett,  that helped me solve it.