Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can we use multiple colours within one sketch

GerardGerard Member Posts: 3 PRO
I have got a complex Master Sketch that will drive many sub assemblies. I like to use multiple colours. I noticed the new option assigning appearances to a sketch, but not to selected entities of a sketch. Any suggestions please?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, learning every day.  :) I will review options of using multiple sketches to combine as required when inserting in new assemblies. Thanks Steg and S1mon, much appreciated.

Answers

• Options
    STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 79 PRO
    edited March 27
    You can't use more than 1 color in a single sketch (for now at least). Why not split you "complex" sketch into multiple simpler sketches? "Complex" sketch is rarely a good thing.
  • Options
    Gerard_BotermanGerard_Boterman Member Posts: 20
    Reason for a 'complex' Master sketch is that it is inserted in all new created sub-assemblies and used for mating. Having one master would make this easier. Colours would help identifying. Having many sketches would mean we have to insert many sketches to construct our sub-assemblies, while all subassembly configurations have to follow the pattern of the master sketch.
    Trying to work out the best way of using sketches to create sub-assemblies with up to 20 configurations each, all to fit a top assembly with over 100,000 variations. :)
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,412 PRO
    Multiple sketches wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing. You could make a subassembly from them, and then use that as your skeleton to hang things off of.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, learning every day.  :) I will review options of using multiple sketches to combine as required when inserting in new assemblies. Thanks Steg and S1mon, much appreciated.