Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

SHEET METAL BEND - CANNOT UNROLL A SIMPLE BEND

Paul_15Paul_15 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I am using sheet metal in OnShape the first time and trying to unroll a simple bend. 

The arc and line are tangent. Seems like this should be a trivial thing to unroll, but it refuses to do so. Am I missing something?

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    I found the problem. It had to do with coming off of SolidWorks and expecting a flat pattern to show up in the main model. That's why I expected the Arcs to Extrude as bends to do something. I didn't realize that the flat pattern shows up in a bend table which is off to the right side of the screen instead of being considered a bend feature.

I worked through the examples you gave and see now how the different choices work. Thanks for the effort.

Answers

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    edited April 11
    I took a little deeper look at this. It would seem that when asking for a rolled section some flats have to included for the function to work as it appears. The only way to get part1 rolled with the correct neutral axis is to change bend K factor since selecting the arc as rolled surface creates an error. Can't select the curve twice.
    I would have thought you should be able to select a curve for rolled section with out flats for consistency.
    Can someone explain the thinking? How does OS determine what is rolled and what is bent? Does any existing arc selected get treated as rolled unless it is selected in the 'arcs as bends'.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/876cd7da860d4c14b3b81810/w/8c4e8033cb786c26786d4e0c/e/38f9dc0fdaa152a8adf9d00d

• Options
    Too many selections in the SM dialog.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/876cd7da860d4c14b3b81810/w/8c4e8033cb786c26786d4e0c/e/38f9dc0fdaa152a8adf9d00d
    A couple of comments.
    First the links to the documentation opened to a blank page. After a minute they were still blank. 

Not sure what you mean by too many selections. 
    I picked the line and arc to extrude and then marked the arc specifically as the bend. Picking the arc cause the proposed extrusion to turn red and the extrusion of the line dissappeared.

Thanks for looking into this.

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    Not sure why you see a blank page from the link. All documents from this account are public. If you can't view and copy this then you might ant to ask support to help.
    Your question about too many. Your original sheet metal dialog shows 2 selections for sketch curves and 1 for arcs to bends. There is an over lap between the 2 selection sets. You need only select the line and arc to produce a rolled part. You only need to select the line then move on to the selection set for arcs as bends with the arc selected to produce a bent part. 2 total selected curves not 3.

• Options
    Answer ✓
    I found the problem. It had to do with coming off of SolidWorks and expecting a flat pattern to show up in the main model. That's why I expected the Arcs to Extrude as bends to do something. I didn't realize that the flat pattern shows up in a bend table which is off to the right side of the screen instead of being considered a bend feature.

I worked through the examples you gave and see now how the different choices work. Thanks for the effort.