Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mirroring and Patterns in assemply

How far off is Mirroring and pattern linear and circular in OS? this is the only thing holding me back from going to Pro.

Best Answers

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure it wouldn't be preferable to do that in Part Studios? The optimum workflows in Onshape are very different from those in other packages, and in many situations it's preferable to reserve Onshape assemblies for controlling relative motion. 

I realise Onshape Part Studios do not yet support being used in the way this would require, for larger projects, but I reckon that should be addressed head on, if at all possible, rather than changing horses in midstream simply because that's how users of other packages are accustomed to work.

I don't yet pretend to know if it IS possible; it may only ever be workable in smaller contexts, partly because the "relative motion" distinction becomes more artificial and difficult to justify, or even conceptualise, as projects get larger.
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    EDIT: SHOULD HAVE READ BETTER SORRY DISREGARD MY POST

A lot of PRO users in the forum, probably you`ll get their honest opinion on this matter, as for me I must say that when mirroring or patterning a feature sometimes could get a bit frustrating because unlike SW or SE,OS does not mirror/pattern features, you have to select individual faces in order to get the desired results, there are workarounds to this using boolean operations but is just not the same. 

There is an improvement request for this: 

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1050/feature-pattern#latest
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    @wayne_love  what is your use case of pattern in assembly? Do you need to insert part in pattern in more cases or have them follow (derived from) an underlying part feature more often?
  • wayne_lovewayne_love Member Posts: 6
    Patterns don't need to be derived from a Part feature, mostly to have multiple copies  that can be changed in the assemblies, it's very tedious to insert many instances of a part or assembly.