Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Print true to scale

jochen_ritterjochen_ritter Member, csevp Posts: 7 PRO
Hello!

Our CNC-Mill is broken right now, so i wanted to manufacture a small bracket per drawing paper print, glueing it to the material and doing it the old way.

I discovered now, that even with the print option "no size change" and with 100% scale, the printing is not true to scale, but loses ~3% size. Tested this with the onshape-generated pdf in chrome and in pdf xchange.

When i measure in the pdf draweing with the tools of pdf xchange, the numbers are correct. But it doesnt print correct.

Does anybody have an idea?

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 363 PRO
    No other idea than printing it out in 103% resp. 97% or so to compensate. It should not happen in the first place, and I just tried with my setup (Win/Firefox/Adobe Acrobat/HP LaserJet): In my case it does not happen. I get an error of less than a line width for a 100x200mm slab I test printed on A4, which is within reasonable tolerances. Maybe there is some setting in your workflow that assumes someting. In one printer driver I have on a laptop, for example, "print at original size" is not necessarily equal to "print at 100% scale". You may want to try and see if it makes any difference.
  • Options
    Update:

I tested it on the same pc with another printer, a Ricoh SP213W. This one gives me a print with a size of roughly 100.6 %..... so, a small error but still enough at lager parts.

So i suppose the error must be on the printer driver side.

I will search for settings in the drivers later.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 726 PRO
    I had a similar issue a while back (while doing the exact same thing, adhering the printout on a piece of sheetmetal to cut on the bandsaw).

I traced it to two things in my case:

On my computer, if I had "full scale" selected in the printer dialog box, it would be off slightly. However, if I hand typed in "100%", it would be accurate.

The second was I was using a browser to open the pdf and print from it. I forgot which browser now, but one browser was printing precisely, and the second was not.

• Options
    Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 254 EDU
    edited June 5
    However, if I hand typed in "100%", it would be accurate.

That's madness! :smile:

• Options
    I didn´t write it accurate enough, but thats what i meant with '"100% scale" in my first post. I tested the full scale  option and the manual 100% option.