Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I need help how to fill up a space in a step file .

richard_conenrichard_conen Member Posts: 6
Hello,
I have a step file downloaded from printables and imported it in oneshape.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/826a126dbe9e8613ca44c134/w/b94a57fbf780ef71657984e6/e/08b6c1b9589fe075e48d5ffe?renderMode=0&uiState=667598f395d23821c532e8a1
I'm trying to fil up the big hole bolow to make room on the inside of the part. I tried a lot to do this but i don't know the right steps to do this.
can somebody help me ,or do one side so i can do the same for the other side? i'm trying to learn to edit files.
thanks for the help

Comments

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 717 PRO
    This one is difficult. Here is one approach. It's not a perfect continuation of the rounds. But for hobby 3D printed parts, it should be good enough.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e27262377b81a9c076de6881/v/88d7ee6a95ee12c3e7824b79/e/23b8afb5aa98cedd61d77766

To get it perfect would require a lot more work. You'd have to recreate the tangent edges of the rounds with new curves, then turn those curves into surfaces. Unless there is another way I'm not seeing (very possible!).

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,508 PRO
    edited June 22
    I tried a lot of things too. This is not easy to fix. The main surface is a simple extrusion, but the fillet around the edge is variable and it's tricky to get rid of the pocket.

@GregBrown's Extract FS to see if I could clean things up if I had the untrimmed surfaces, but trying to get the variable fillet to trim to the surrounding surfaces didn't go well. 

• Options
    This one is difficult. Here is one approach. It's not a perfect continuation of the rounds. But for hobby 3D printed parts, it should be good enough.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e27262377b81a9c076de6881/v/88d7ee6a95ee12c3e7824b79/e/23b8afb5aa98cedd61d77766

To get it perfect would require a lot more work. You'd have to recreate the tangent edges of the rounds with new curves, then turn those curves into surfaces. Unless there is another way I'm not seeing (very possible!).

This is super, I can work with this.it is indeed for 3d printing so this is perfect. Never used the "fill tool" before.
    Thank you for the help, verry much appericiated. ( sorry for my english, I speak dutch ) 
  • Options
    thanks for the help, It is very good for me, It is for 3d printing and if the curve not perfect, that is no problem.thanks both for the quick reply and work.
    Greetings