Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Existing STL - add parameters to be customs

glen_lebeauglen_lebeau Member Posts: 4

Hi there, I am looking help to create parameters within onshape program in an existing STL file.

I am volunteering by coaching wheelchair racing athlete. I have just purchased a 3D printer to help them to create their own gloves as this is too expensive to ship from Europe. 

I was wondering if you could create from a STL file I have (you won't be able to publish them as I am under copyright by the owner) parameters for me to enter and the glove will be adjusted accordingly with the real measurements of the athlete living with disability. 

I am happy to pay you !!! Let me know if you can do it. A sample for the gloves (won't be this one) can be found here: https://www.instructables.com/3D-Printed-Wheelchair-Racing-Gloves-Push-Gloves/  This way, you have an idea what it will be. 

Thank you in advance for your help. Cheers, Glen

Answers

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 358 PRO
    edited July 2
    Parameters depend on features in the feature tree. So, for an imported file, there won't be any features to begin with. Once you modify your model, though, e.g. by offsetting or otherwise moving surfaces, the move feature would have parameters (like XYZ offset or so) and these could then be used to parameterize the modifications. If you e.g. stretch the model by a certain amount or percentage, you could put the variable for the amount of stretch along a certain direction into a variable table, maybe name the variable "GloveWidth" or "GloveHeight" and so on, and then use that to adapt the model to individual athletes.
    An STL model as a starting point is sure not the most elegant way, but lacking other options, this might be worth trying.
  • Options
    glen_lebeauglen_lebeau Member Posts: 4
    Thank you Martin for your prompt answer.
    i can have the gcode or any file you think it will suit.
    if you are keen to help me, let’s keep the conversation. Again thank you.