Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I crop a BOM?

martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 453 PRO
In my BOM, I have a few additional info which is important to us internally, but which my client doesn't need to know. The column "Vendor" for example. It is none of his business to know where we buy our bearings. So, on overview drawings we hand out, I want a BOM with only the relevant info, say "Item, Quantity, Name" of the parts and some corresponding balloon callouts.

Question: 
  1. Is there a way to disable certain columns from a BOM in any one drawing?
  2. Is there a way to set up a secondary BOM with a different template for any one assembly (and reference that one in such drawings)?

Best Answer

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 775 PRO
    Answer ✓
    In the drawing BOM setting window there is a drop down for which BOM to use. It can be set differently than the 3D asm BOM.

Answers

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,785 PRO
    You can have multiple BOM templates in Professional and Enterprise with different column sets.
  • martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 453 PRO
    As far as I can see, I can have multiple BOM templates, but I see no way to select more than one for any given assembly. I'd be perfectly fine, If I could create one "Full" and one "Minimal" BOM within the assembly, and then select the appropriate one for a given drawing. It looks like I must coose one template, and can then use only that one for all drawings of any assembly, say "Shop Floor Drawing" and "Handout Drawing".
    For today's set; I worked around the issue by creating the BOM table outside the sheet, and use part name balloon callouts in the drawing (and no BOM table).
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 775 PRO
    Answer ✓
    In the drawing BOM setting window there is a drop down for which BOM to use. It can be set differently than the 3D asm BOM.
  • martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 453 PRO
    Ah, there it hides! I must have missed that one, stupid me. Okay, that option does exactly what I was looking for. I can still have the comprehensive BOM, but only show a relevant choice of columns on certain drawings.